J T's journey

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Missed the boat this time...


Hey again,
Im guessing your not expecting an update three days in a row.

Well, what happened was, as I was going to catch the train back to Yokkaichi - I discovered the last one had already gone. I had been making use of my day train pass - as good as I could get out of it - and the last thing I saw took a while to walk to. I thought trains would head Nagoya ways until at least 11ish, however, turns out they finish at 9.30- when I tried to catch the "10pm" train. Oh well, better to be stuck here than in some random hick town in between. So anyhow here I am, back at the capsule hotel. I should be sweet to get home in time for work tomorrow.

Anyway, my day.
It started off with breakfast. I was happy with myself that I was fairly ready early on. I texted the guy I had replaced (Matt - see previous entry) as he lives here, and I had some mail of his. We met for lunch, and had all you can eat thai - for a cheap 980yen - pretty good, but not quite as good as it sounds as thai is rather spicy, so you dont eat much. That was good, but it delayed my sightseeing for a bit. Following that I went to the aquarium. Yesterday the tourist information lady told me to get a ticket that included a day train pass, so I did.

Here we have a picture of a Gangster crab (not its real name) making a hand signal telling what its turf is (C-side). They actually live at the bottom of the ocean in really deep parts. They are huge, and look like something from Alien. The other picture is a huge dumb fish (not its real name either). It requires that netting so it doesn`t crash into the glass. It didn`t get the looks or the brains.

The aquarium was rather big, so that took most of the afternoon. It had heaps of fish, including a huge whale shark. Following that I went on a huge ferris wheel next door to it - apparently the biggest in the world - not sure - Japan seems to have the best of everything... and I noticed a cool park next door to it, with cheery blossoms out, so I went over there, and planned what i could see in the remaining time, to get my moneys worth out of my train pass.
So I went to a couple of places, the first was a tower and a cool street, but the tower was already closed. However it made some good photos. Then I went to the "Floating garden" which didnt have anyplants... It was a huge building with an observation deck at the top. An explanation wont do it justice, so wait for the photo. The killer was the walk there from the nearest station. What I discovered on the way back was there was an underpass (pictured) almost directely from the station to it. Then I rushed back to the station to discover there was no train for me.

Anyway, Im not too annoyed - Im more glad I have pretty much ticked Osaka off the to do list - I just want to come back to go to Universal Studios Japan (a theme park) later in the year. If there is anything I feel I have missed, I can do it then. Ive probably seen more of Osaka today, than I have seen of Nagoya, or Yokkaichi for that matter.

The cat picture is because I noticed there was a lot of stray cats living in Osaka

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home