J T's journey

Monday, March 13, 2006

Summary so far...

For those of you who havent had the time to read my past entries, I figured I should post this, an editted copy of the group email I have just sent (11 March) Enjoy!

I had been holding off group emailing until I had created a decent email address for my cellphone (instead of the default random address it had) but have only just done it this week (compared to the rest of my time here, this week has been pretty productive). Anyway if you want it, email me at the usual (yahoo) one (see profile).

I dont check my yahoo email as often now, as I dont have a connection at home (so maybe once a week). So for your communications you can email on the above. However dont send me Forwards, attachments and unimportant things to my cellphones address, keep send them to the yahoo one.

Anyway thats the business side of things done. I was surprised when I discove red that my last bulk email was on 8 Decemeber. So what has happened since then?

- Just after Christmas I went up to Kanazawa to visit my Japanese friend and his family. That was the most awesome time I have had in Japan yet - it was relaxing and "real" Japan - traditional Japanese family meals etc, they made me feel so welcome, and it was a productive time too, I went to an Onsen (hot pools where you go naked) saw Kanazawa-jo (castle) Kenroku-en (a famous garden) and the Ninja dera - a shrine that had all these hidingplaces, and secret tunnels for the old saumuri days.

Next I went to Tokyo for New years. That was OK. I was a little dissappointed I didnt see more while I was there. We only had 3 days there, and that was mainly partying, sleeping and recovering, and being New Years, things were closed. We got the night bus there and back, so it wasnt great for sleep. Anyhow, I saw a few things, including going to the 2 busiest train stations in the world (Shinjuku, and Tokyo central - but obviously not at peak time) and Roppongi station - the deepest in the world - it took 3 steep and long escalators and 3 sets of stairs to get out of it. My experience of Tokyo also included a couple of hours in a love hotel - although not for romantic reasons - we wanted to get some rest before the all-nighter on NY eve. An interesting experience.

Following that I had a couple of quiets days at home, worked a couple of days, and then went to Osaka for the weekend, to visit an old high school mate. We went and saw the castle there, saw a bit of the nightlife, and also went to Kyoto - and saw some shrines etc (including a golden one), and the train station there is massive too - 16 floors above ground I think.

Since then? Not a great deal. Experiencing Japan in small bites. Ive been into Nagoya numerous times, it took me a while to get to se e the sights there - finally I managed it, I saw the castle, went to the TV tower, and went on a ferris wheel that is on the side of a building. Lately I have been to a couple of international partys, a great place to meet people. The last one was even better, all you can eat as well! nice.

The rest of my japanese experience has been of housework - cleaning the flat, ironing, dishes, washing clothes. Its amazing how much free time that eats up. So the other news is just piecemeal. Random experiences.

I went to a Sushi bar the other day - the sushi comes around on a conveyor, and you can chose what you like. That was fun, and sort of a fantasy come true LOL. I accidently chose some Nato (fermented soy beans).

Japanese portions are quite small at restaurants, and even in supermarkets. Its a bit of a pain. What I had been struggling with was the fact that I dont have a microwave (or dis hwasher) or proper oven so my cooking repitore has been relatively limited.

Japan has a lot of Government employees, and no eftpos (just ATMs), and funny hours too, such as banks closing at 3. Ive also been caught in Nagoya at least once due to the trains stopping at 11.30.

Japanese TV seems to be funny - a lot of vareity shows, and dramas - and the dramas all seem to be tragic for the hero, things always go wrong for them.

Thanks for your emails.
Kia Kaha & Arohanui.
JT

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home