J T's journey

Monday, February 20, 2006

The end of the first quarter

Well, I've made it - tomorrow I will have been here three months.

My flatmate leaves on Wednesday - after that I'm living solo, until I get new flatmates, hopefully that won't be too quickly.

The rest of the week since Tuesday's entry has basically been a case of the same old stuff.

A positive thing I have noted about Japan, is the sensors that sense when to flush the urinals etc, actually do work, unlike the ones for decoration in NZ.

By the sounds of it I'm getting off probation this time. Nice. A victory for the kiwi boy.

Last night the guy I had replaced here (Matt) came back for a reunion party with the other teachers and stuff, so we went to the local cafe/bar. A fun night. He is staying with us for a few days, until my flatmate leaves, and then he will go back to Osaka.

This morning I had to get up early again, to get to the international centre, for a Japanese cooking lesson. That was quite cool, we learnt how to cook tempura, amongst other things (the tempura was the most memorable, since it took the most effort, the thing I was familiar with, and the thing I am most likely to cook again sometime, especially in New Zealand.) I met some fellow Kiwis (from Palmerston North) there - they are with JET (and therefore are probably a lot richer...) when I first met them, I have to be honest, I thought the guy sounded like a Brit or a Scot - probably because that was what I was expecting. However once we established we were all kiwis, he was calling me Bro.

After that I came back, and talked to Matt for about an hour. Following that I decided I would go and see the local sights here in Yokkaichi that I haven't seen yet (considering I've been her 3 months - as you can guess I'm having feelings that I'm not making the most of my weekends.) Anyway, I took the train 2 local stops north, and hopped off and saw the outside of the Yokkaichi dome, the Australian pavilion, and the Port building. However I discovered a cool obstacle course thing inside a tunnel thing, and a slide that has rollers. I'm probably sounding like a big kid, but it was kinda cool, especially the slide. It's probably the only amusement in Japan that you don't need to que for. After that I had the task of finding the nearest train station, which I managed. It was on the other train system to my normal train (which I knew) so I got off at the other station in Yokkaichi. Anyhow, I had a little more of a tiki tour on my way back to the flat.

Got to work tomorrow. Got raked into it. Not impressed, considering it is the second 1 day weekend in a row. At least I have Friday off this week (to make up for last Monday). Hopefully I will be paid overtime rates, but I have a feeling I may not.

Plans for this week? Friday I will try and knock a lot of the annoying jobs off, and then hopefully I can have a fun-fulled (and full) weekend. Hope to look around the Prefecture. The Japanese girl I met is keen to show me the shrines at Ise (about an hour or two south of here).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home