J T's journey

Sunday, February 12, 2006

Another efficient use of time

Hey, how u doin'?

This week has been OK I guess. Not much to report about. On Saturday's I now have a kids (kindergarten age) class, and I have this tiny kid, who must only just be old enough (or we have made an exception because the customer is always right...) and he is just so cute. He doesn't really know what is going on. At the start of the lesson he carries on saying Hello, hello, hello for about 3 minutes. He knows how to high five though. Its kind of funny how over here it is ok for guys to say things like that (ie the kids are so cute). It was also funny seeing my flatmate in action with his kids class last week, as it was a light I hadn't seen him in - usually I see him in drinking mode or on his computer - he is really good with them. Anyhow, My last class of the day was 2 girls, who must be about 12. They are cool - they have no teen angst or anything. They are a pleasure to teach. They even asked me how I was at the start of the class, and at the end they hold the door open for me!

On Wednesday I did what we call a "Topic voice" voice is basically a "talk about anything" class (except culturally sensitive topics of course) and a Topic voice is where you prepare a theme, and have games relating to it. I chose Valentine's day. It was interesting to see the history behind it. See this link for further information. The quick summary is that Claudius II the Roman emperor made engagement and marriage illegal in about the 3rd Century AD because people were less keen to join in the Roman wars, his logic being that it was so because people didn't want to leave their loved ones. Anyhow Valentine was a priest (I gathered he was a Christian priest) who then secretly married couples. He was then matyred for doing so on Feb 14th. Something interesting here in Japan is that on Feb 14th only women give men chocolate, and then on March 14th, men return the favour.

This week my Australian workmate finished up. A shame as he was cool. Now we have the kiwi guy who is in "management" working with us. So far he seems cool enough - I have dropped some of my initial reservations about him. I'll probably be able to relate to him better, being a kiwi, compared to my Canadian boss. Maybe its a self fufilling prophecy, but kiwis are more reserved and quiet than North Americans, and I am "quiet" for a kiwi... so the "energy" they want from me is a bit of a leap outside the comfort zone (also considering I'm already out of it). The cultural difference can be funny sometimes though, I chuckled when I noticed this example with my American friend:-

Saying goodbye
American friend: Well take good care of yourself, and I will see you again...
JT: Yeah

Note I'm not "being tough", its just the reserved kiwi doesn't say much, other than a few grunts.
Last night was cool (the efficient use of time) - After work I rushed to get some cash (it is surprising how fast I spend it), and then went home, quickly changed, and jumped on the train to Nagoya. I had to put up with a crazy man on the way there, who knew a bit of english, but got annoying fast. Anyhow I had gone into Nagoya for a party for international people. It cost about 1500yen, but was all you can drink from 6:30 - 9. As it was, I got there at 8, but it was still worth it I guess, considering a drink is usually 400/500yen. Anyhow about 10 minutes after I got there, they had a prize draw, and I won a huge block of chocolate (it was valentines day-themed). So I was quite stoked. Not only that, I also got talking to a Japanese girl, and afterwards we went to this party that my Australian workmate (as above) had told me about, being held in the "Gaijin ghetto" (where the foreigners live) near the Nagoya station. That party was OK too, but I had to get home, lucky for me I caught the last train back to Yokkaichi.

Anyway, today - I had my Japanese lesson, and then walked to the library via the supermarket, and also signing up at the video shop. Tomorrow (Monday) I have follow-up training, so I don't have the day off. Instead I get Friday off on the 24th. It isn't as good as it sounds - I still have to work Saturday the 25th (ie not a 3 day weekend).

You will notice I have finally managed to put up the photos of the castle. Also I rearranged the photos from New Plymouth (July 2005) so they looked better.

I hate to say it, but from now on the posts may be few are far between, and less likely to have photos, as my flatmate leaves in about a week, and so does his computer. I tried the internet at the International centre, but it looks like they block the blogger site. And when I do manage to get to post - recently it has been tempermental about letting me put photos up - hence the delay.

This also means I will be checking my yahoo email address less often, (probably once a week) however I will email you my email address for my cellphone (once I have changed it's address - at the moment it is random letters and numbers). However still keep emailing me!

Anyway, thats about it. I was going to go to Nagoya, but it would be a waste of time now. Apparently tonight is a birthday party at a Izakaya (restaurant thing) for one of the Japanese staff. Should be Ok.

Cheers to all of you who have recently emailed me - especially those who I didn't email first. Its good to hear from home. I intend writing another group email, but have put it off until I have established a better email address for my phone (so I can tell everyone what it is).

This was going to be a short one, because I was heading to Nagoya - however it has turned into an epic, and Nagoya has been forsaken. But as I said, it may be a while, so savour this long posting. Now I will probably cook me some eggs (for tea) or rancid meat. I defrosted some meat the other day, and used half of it, and now the rest doesn't look so great.

Kia Kaha.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home