J T's journey

Monday, February 06, 2006

Trapped in an alternate reality

Another week down...

What is there to report this week? Not a great deal.

I think things this week have been relatively the same. However on Friday, I taught at a different school (in a different town), where my flatmate ("room mate" - so American - I don't share a room with him!) So that was interesting. Their students seemed so onto-it. I had started early, so I finished early. That was good, but I ended up using that time to check out the shops in the plaza where the school was. I ended up buying stuff, such as some gumboots (approximately $4/5NZD) as I thought I should be prepared for if and when I go to the snow, and there was a 100yen superstore there (ie like a $2 shop). We have several 100yen shops here, but not as big as that one. Anyway, I bought a grater, as it was the first place I had seen a Western-style grater - everywhere else I had just seen ones that rip the vegetables. I wonder if my flatmate thinks I'm weird buying utensils and stuff (previously I had bought a fish slice, and a pasta spoon thing) however I see he used it (the grater) last night.

On Saturday I worked, as per usual. I got a call from my Japanese teacher, to tell me he couldn't make it to the lesson on Sunday as his mother-in-law had died. So I decided I should have some fun on Saturday night. I was going to have a beer with my Australian workmate, but he decided against it, as he is finishing up, and is short on cash. So I went to the local, and chatted to the waitress, and some other Japanese people. That was quite fun. I then went to Nagoya. Not my best move, as it was a bit of a waste of time, and it meant I had to stay there until the morning. While I was in Nagoya it started snowing. So it wasn't the most pleasant night. So in the end I only really achieved being tired and not feeling great. The pursuit of fun is hard here, even harder than NZ. Especially clean fun.

Sunday, once I work up, I checked the emails, and went back to Nagoya to go to church. After that I checked out the shopping centre at the train station (Kintetsu Passe) - over here, some shopping centres actually own train lines, for example Kintetsu, which is the train line I use to go to Nagoya (and Osaka). So above the train station is a shopping centre (also there is one in Yokkaichi). I had heard there was a shop with english magazines, which there was, although they were boring American ones, and you know what. Anyhow it was an interesting experience, exploring the centre, as it was 9 floors, which most of which were womens fashion. The Japanese girls here are really into their clothes, and dress quite individually, yet look classy (ie not skanky).

Anyway, came back to Yokkaichi, and decided to go to the Italian buffet for tea. Not because I was hungry, more because I didn't want to cook. I managed not to gurge myself this time. So that was good. I came home, tried to go to bed early, but sleep didn't want to visit, so I got up and clocked Delta Force: Land Warrior, one of the games I had brought over here. (Note the difference bought = buy, brought = brung, at least I think thats how it works, Im supposed to be an english teacher... today I have been paranoid to get that right).

I guess this week has been quite productive, as I have clocked that game, finished reading my book on Japan (now instead on only wanting to see a few places that I knew about, now I want to see further afield - which will be difficult, eg Hokkaido, the northern island), and I also have read the little book I have on doing an OE in the UK, that I have had since 2004. However there is always more to achieve...

Today, I might go to Tsu, a town about half-an-hour away, to find out where the place Im training at in a weeks time is. And after coming home on the semi-express (an express train, which I usually take doesn't stop at many stops, a limited express only stops at major stations, and a semi-express stops at most stops, a local train would stop at every stop) on Sunday morning, I managed to see were some of the Yokkaichi sights were, so I may check them out. Not sure when to do the chores though.

Happy Waitangi day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home