J T's journey

Monday, November 07, 2005

A word for our sponsors...

Just over a week to go. I'm a little nervous, some of it is worry about not getting everything done in time, the other half is the fact that it is now so real - it is no longer an idea or a dream. It is a full-blown reality.

I guess you could say it has been a long (yet enjoyable) week. On Thursday I went to the dentist. I had decided I should invest in a visit, considering I was heading overseas, and I hadn't been for about 6 years. I had prepared by getting quotes from most of the dentists in Hamilton. The cheapest all up (check up, x-ray, and scale & polish) was Southcity Dental on Kihikatea Drive - therefore I went with them. I found the dentist was professional and thorough, and didn't charge me any extra (despite the fact I needed them to give a prescription for anti-biotics, because of my heart operation when I was six). Hence why I am telling you this - I feel they deserve the credit. I also appreciated the fact I didn't require any work. I would have questioned their diagnosis (and ethics) if they had tried to tell me that, as my teeth are freakishly good (no fillings). If only the rest of my body followed suit.

That night I finished work. I provided afternoon tea/supper for the three shifts. I think that was quite appreciated. Some people were surprised I bothered with the day shift, however I figured I had worked with most of them longer than the others, and got on with them, so it was only fair. That and the fact I get annoyed when people only consider the day staff, and not the night staff. Do unto others that which you want done to you I say. (Can't claim that one as a Thomasism unfortunatly).

On Friday night I went back in, as work had invited me for a BBQ tea, as a bit of a send-off. I was quite stoked with the fantastic feed and box of goodies they gave me. As organised I met up with some of them later on for drinks. All in all it was a good night. Another good word goes out to the Bryant Road Bar (formerly the Red Gables) as their courtesy van picked us up for $4 a person, and later dropped us off in town for free. I think that was awesome, and an example of being responsible hosts.

Saturday I was extracted untimely from my bed to help my sister and brother-in-law move into their recently purchased house. At about 4.30pm I got picked up by my mate Graham, and we went down to Rotorua for a Guy Fawkes evening. We stayed with our friend Rebecca, who again won wide-spread approval in the morning for her ability to cook bacon and eggs, and extra points for consuming them with us. We went to church, and also had a bit more of an attempt to dampen the embers of the previous nights bonfire. Following the service we went and had a picnic lunch on the lake front. After consuming lunch I caught up with an old school mate, who I hadn't seen since leaving high school. That was cool, catching up, and stuff.

After a coffee at Bec's, we came back to Hamilton, and went to another church service at Nawton Baptist. It was quite good, I got stuff out of both services today, relating to my trip mainly.

Anyway, to conclude the day I went home and had some tea, and then went out for a drink with another friend. Its little wonder I'm so tired, looking back, especially taking into consideration that in the last 2 days I haven't had a sleep in to make up for it, or an early night (earliest night was 1.30am).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home