J T's journey

Sunday, June 18, 2006

Kure and Rice

Hey from Kure,

Kure is in Hiroshima prefecture, about 40 minutes from Hiroshima city.

Since the last entry, on the Monday, I went and worked at Tsushima, via going to Nagoya, to investigate about the Shinkansen, pick up a Japanzine (english magazine for foreigners,) and to buy an english magazine, as I'm really craving some light english reading. I seemed to forget that the magazines available at the place I knew in Nagoya were very light reading (ie lots of pictures if you know what I mean) and were $16-$30. I don't think so.

Anyway, that night I worked, and made it back to Yokkaichi in time to catch the second half of the Japan vs Australia soccer match, which was being shown in the local park. I decided I would back the Australians, as they were losing (1-0 most of the game - I like backing the underdog and rebelling against the majority). Anyhow, Australia came back at the end of the game to win 3-1 (typical Australian style). My students weren't too impressed that I went against Japan.

Tuesday was uneventful. Wednesday I jumped on the train after work and headed to Osaka. I decided it was best to be there rather than going the next morning.

Thursday I went to Universal Studios Japan. It was quite good, some of the rides made me feel a little sick, but it wasn't too bad.

Friday I went to Himeji. That was cool. The castle is at the end of the main street, so it is the background of the city. Before walking to the castle I decided to invest in an ice cream from Baskin Robbins - a popular American ice cream chain (the American book I had read, which was set in the 80's even talked about it, yet it still hasn't made its way to New Zealand). Anyway I have waited 7 months for it to warm up - the good thing was I got 3 flavours for the price of 2, because of a promotion thats on, sweet. It was nice. I didn't expect to be getting a good deal considering its summer (ie Summer is their peak period, why bother with a promotion) anyway it was great not being exploited for a change.

The castle was cool - genuine old style, unlike the Nagoya and Osaka castles. Following that I caught the bullet train to Hiroshima, and then a normal train to Kure. Mel and Jase cooked me a good feed of yakiniku.

Yesterday I went to Miyajima - a shrine on an island near Hiroshima. It was pretty cool. Wait for the photos. That night we went to Kareoke.

This morning Mel and I biked around Kure, checked out some nature, and a huge model of the battleship Yamoto. Soon Im heading to Hiroshima to see the Atomic dome, peace park and museum, maybe also the castle if I have time.

Laters
J

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home