J T's journey

Friday, January 13, 2006

11:57

Weird title?

Its from "11:57" a new song from Elemeno P, a Kiwi punk band. I thought it was fitting considering:
(1) I am thrashing their (2nd) CD as I write - they are my taste of home, and my current favourite band (their first CD I used to use to help me go to sleep - strange, but it worked, maybe the energetic music made me tired.)

(2) The idea behind the song is that as musicians, they rarely get out of bed until 11:57 - something I can relate to at the moment.

(3) 11:57 seems to pop up uncannily, eg I look at my watch - its 11:57, my train to Kanazawa left at 11:57 etc - A glitch in the Matrix maybe.

Anyway I thought I would share some thoughts.

Man am I missing NZ food! Everytime I show my students pictures of home, the picture of the BBQ full of sausages and steak makes me almost faint. That and the fact Japanese food portions aren't big enough to satisfy a guy. How I miss the Outback platter and such of NZ.

However my theory of coming to Japan and becoming a lean mean machine isn't going quite as well as I thought. I haven't exactly melted into Fabio yet. At best, my belt might be too big for me now - but that may have been because I brought a belt too big. In theory I should be losing weight - I am definitely eating less meat, have had next to no cheese, and the portions are small. However on the downside - because of the lack of an oven or microwave - I can't make a meal that will last several days, because (a) I can't cook something that big due to size of meat portions, and size of cooking equipment and (b) I can't reheat it in a microwave, so I may be eating more at tea time, than I was at Gilmours.
Another reason is the timing of meals - getting up late hasn't helped it, but especially finishing at 9, means tea is between 9 and 11. And that isn't helping the sleep patterns I don't think.
Maybe exercise is part of it too - obviously I am walking less than I was at Gilmours, however I have been walking quite a bit when sight seeing. Anyway I digress. Maybe a bit of routine, discipline, and a hot summer will transform me back into my 14 year old psyche. Yes girls, guys have image issues too.

One sided communication and working with maybes.
For some dumb reason I expected Japan to be different it terms of trying to get answers out of people, including emails and text messages. Admittedly my professionalism in terms of emails and texts has dropped due to lack of time. Anyway, a degree doesn't make someone professional so I have found out. Getting answers out of Japanese people obviously is harder - you have to set aside some time for the language barrier, and then it can be "maybe you could..."

Toursim NZ
I have become tourism NZ, Japan branch. It is weird, before I left I was "man I want to get out of this imbred country (NZ)" but somehow I have become really patriotic - everytime I see "product of New Zealand" I put my hand on my chest (often where the silver fern lies). And I am telling my students all the good things about New Zealand - all the movies that have been filmed in NZ (including the Last Saumuri). Needless to say, I am missing home, and familiarity.

Anyway, thats about it for now. My mate Kit mentioned that I was pretty honest on my site. I guess so, I kind of subscribe to the theory that honesty is best (although I pick my battles now - learnt that the hard way at high school). I also had a theory when I was younger that if a girl (in general, not one in particular) got to know me fairly well, she would be attracted, of course being the quiet guy that theory hasn't really been proven or disproven. In a way this site is a marketing tool! No it isn't. That was a joke. I started off this site with only me as the reader, so I have kept the same level of honesty throughout. Obviously I don't complain about people here, as (a) they might read it, and (b) it is a semi-permanent record, I would rather remember the good times.

Anyway, thanks for taking a walk in my head. Miss you all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home