J T's journey

Monday, December 26, 2005

Boxing day

Hey all,

Its 1.26pm Japanese time at the moment, I would have waited to the end of the day to write something, in case I did something fun in the interim, however, my flatmates computer seems uncharacteristically fast at the moment, so I shall make the most of it, and the fact he is asleep and not using it.

Since my last post - the next day I didn't go to work, as I was too sick - I have a cough, and a sore throat, I had almost lost my voice, so I decided that the prudent thing to do would be to have the day off, as it was a half day, and go to work on Saturday. You don't get paid for sick days here, so it was in my best interests to be able to work Saturday, and I don't think my students would appreciate me making them sick, and they have enough trouble understanding my accent as it is. I wasn't feeling like my usual banana's and yoghurt for breakfast, so I went around to my American friend's place for breakfast. He owns a restaurant. (His name is Ronald McDonald) That hit the spot nicely. The food and the hot chocolate was just what I needed. The call hot chocolate "Hot Cocoa" and they say "hot coco-a".

So Saturday (24th) I went to work - 10-5.40, and then I went to Nagoya, to have some fun. I went to the foreigners bar called Shooters, because I had heard they were doing Christmas dinners. Anyway, that night "they weren't" it was a Christmas eve party instead - 3000yen cover charge, (approx $35 NZD) and you got 3 tokens, you could use a token for a drink, or for food. It was a bit of a rip-off, the food portions were typically Japanese small. Anyway, I met some Japanese people who wanted to practice their english on me, so we ended up going to another bar, and then onto a darts bar. The last train was at 11pm so I had to stay in Nagoya the night, I ended up catching the 5.50am train back to Yokkaichi.

When I got back to Yokkaichi, I invested in breakfast at a scottish restaurant, (scottish/American) (it was Christmas you know) and then hit the hay. I woke up about 11.30, and had bacon for lunch, and then had some phone calls from Mum & Dad, and Suzanne & Bevan, and then opened some presents. Then, I went to Nagoya, to attend a Christmas church service. In my true fashion I was 50 minutes late, but slow internet connections (I had to email the directions to my phone) and the train timetable can be blamed. I managed to be there for about 30mins of the service anyway, so it was OK. I then came back, went and brought things for my secret santa gift, and then made my way to another teachers flat (via a short train ride, and a long walk) for a party (where we did the secret santa). Lucky for me on the way back I managed to catch the last train home.

Today, I am not sure what I will do - probably just tidy stuff up, and sort stuff out, like how I am going to get to Kanazawa on Wednesday, and my phone. I got a call from the vodafone shop in Nagoya, where I got my phone from, telling me that I had given them an invalid address - they had copied it off the business card I have, which has it in english and Japanese. She had copied the Japanese, which I am guessing isn't right as they have used 2 different sets of symbols/characters for Unimori and Unimorikusu, ie logically, unimorikusu=unomori+kusu, but the unimori uses some kanji instead. Why she couldn't just ask my for my address again I don't know.

Anyway, next couple of weeks should be more fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home