J T's journey

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

I've been everywhere man...

I've spent the last week coming up with cool titles for when I write this entry. I'll try and use them where I can.

Brisbane - Eleven years later...
The night of my last entry I flew to Brisbane.

Which pill will you choose Neo? The blue one or the red one...
Tuesday was the interview, it was very American/Japanese (or how I imagine them to be - ie the atomosphere was very different) I got throught the first part, but at the end of the day I was eliminated - not sure why, as after each stage they give you an envelope which contains a letter that either says come back tomorrow, or thanks for your time but we don't want to pursue this further (very Matrix-like) I was actually happy they rejected me then, as I knew I had the other job, and I wanted to go and spend some time around Brisbane. I got reimbursed too, so I was happy.

Welcome to Paradise/ Paradise city: where the grass is green (mostly yellow) and the girls are pretty
Anyway the next day I went down to the Gold Coast, and went to Movieworld. I felt Movieworld was overpriced, ($60) for what it was worth, and the rides were limited to roller coaster types, which I aren't the biggest fan of, and especially not then as I was a bit dizzy from the humidity. The main reason I went was because I hadn't gone there eleven years earlier when I was an exchange student in Brisbane. I stayed the night in Surfers Paradise at a backpackers - that was pretty cool as I went on a pub crawl with some Poms, Irish girls, and a girl from Finland. The next day I went to Wet'n'Wild (for the above reason), back to Brisbane, and then flew back to Sydney.

The next day (Friday) I went with my mate to the Blue mountains. They were pretty cool.
Saturday I went to Paddy's markets, and then went to a pub in Bondi to see the All Black vs Australia game - which we won, the population of the pub seemed to be 50/50 NZ/Australians. Following that we went back into the city and went up the Sydney tower, which was interesting, yet quite expensive. Also the tower is much older than the one in Auckland, it was built in 1976 - so it was quite retro. The following day of course I flew home. I texted my mother pleading that we have a home cooked meal, as in the ten days I was away, I had only one home-cooked meal, and the four days before my trip had consisted of my usual reheated dinners at work. Anyhow we had tea at my sisters, with all of us, my sister, her husband, and his parents. It was nice.

Planes, trains, and automobiles (and buses)
Thought it was worth adding this bit in too, as it the various modes of transport I ended up using was an interesting experience. Especially for someone who is more familar with just driving places. I used the buses around Sydney and Brisbane, and the trains to the domestic airport in Sydney, to the Gold Coast from Brisbane (including a bus to the station plus a change) and to Penrith from Sydney. All in all I believe it was a great introduction/preparation/taster for when I go to Japan where I believe I will certainly be having to use trains daily.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home